Thursday, August 24, 2006

Welcome...


Welcome readers, to my new project... the Yamaha XS650.

On this blog I will document the changes to my new bike as I build and customise it!

I caught the bug for old school jap bikes after reading an article in the sunday paper magazine about a new bike shop in Sydney. Deus Ex Machina specializes in japanese bikes with a unique old custom look. After visiting the store in Camperdown I became obsessed with the style, and decided I had to have something similar. Its not my style to buy one already done, because I believe that defeats the purpose of having a custom bike, the whole point is to do it yourself!

So began the long research project of what sort of bike to start with... after finding a link to Bratstyle.com and browsing through their gallery, I settled on a Yamaha XS650. I loved almost everything about it... but the engine is very cool / retro looking vertical twin, similar to a British twin (Triumph, Norton etc.). OK so now I have chosen the bike... which model do I choose to start? After looking at countless XS websites I chose a late model "XS650 Special" I liked the wheels and tank on this model. So best to start with something you like straight up. I then scoured the local classifieds and Ebay religously whilst saving some cash. It took over 2 months to find the bike I wanted.



One night I was looking on Ebay, and there is was... tiny grainy pictures (see attached)... very little info... but it was there.. and 81 special, with a freshly rebuilt motor. I tried to contact the owner, for more info and got a very slow response, this was his first Ebay sale. I didn't find out the info I wanted, and asked more questions, when the response took to long... stuff it I thought and clicked "buy it now" I can always back out of the sale... at the cost of 1 negative feedback... big deal I thought... if this really is the bike I have been looking for. I am willing to take that risk. So I did. And I am very happy with my purchase!!!

So now... first thing... registration. I wanted to ride the bike as I do various things. I also wanted to make sure I was happy riding the bike before I spent time/money doing it up.

The bike had been sitting for more than a year unregistered, so needed a full inspection. Only thing was the speedo on the bike was no good.. the needle was broken off the dial!? I thought it would be cheaper to get one from the wreckers than to buy a custom one straight up. but I couldn't find one easily, and the prices were too much anyway. I looked at buying a custom one here is Australia... and the prices were outrageous to say the least... so I bought one off the Internet from mikesxs.com and had it shipped over, and was still way less than half the price of buying one locally. I fitted it up, and registered the next day.

Woohoo what fun to ride... and the custom build has started. first thing I did after having it registered was to tear off the rest of the intrument cluster and idiot lights. I left the one new speedo only (indicator lights built in).

Next up... indicators! those lollypop lights have to go!

JC


1 comment:

FFZ Designs said...

did you modify the stock seat pan to make that seat? do you have anymore pictures? was the cover done custom?